It is believed the first stones of the Château de la Ville Voisin were laid in 1370. Extensions and alteraions were made in the eighteenth and nineteenth century. It was originally owned by Jean du Boisguehenneuc, who acquired it through marriage in 1480 (1400) to Guilleminette Voisin, along with the land of ‘Gerquy’ and ‘La Boissardie’. Other owners included Buisnard, 1472; de Madaillan 1679; de Lambilly, 17..; de Talhoet 1737; de Sauvignhac,1770; 1887- 2007 by the family du Boisbaudry and de Focault
During an inventory of the Bishopric of St. Malo it was known and recorded as La Ville Veysin. A small 17th century chapel built in the bishops name can be visited at the neighbouring hamlet du Plessis. In 1870 Louis – Theophile Rosenzweig in his topographical dictionary of the department of Morbihan, mentions the seigneurie and a manoir and woodland of Villevoisin.
Built in a classical style it has a rectangular tower with a four sided hipped roof going to a sharp point.
It bears the heraldic shield of the du Bois Baudry, a gold shield with two sable (black) bars, the first with three and the second with two silver discs, sculpted in stone. A copy shield (in the correct colours) can be seen incorporated into the magnificent fire place in the dinning room.
The west wing is the oldest and contained a small cellar. The beautiful Italian style archways built in the early 20th century to the east links the château to the coach house, thus creating the visual effect of a more prominent building.
We are not sure at what point the Manoir Villevoisin became Château Villevoisin but we suspect it would have been when the building was expanded in the nineteenth century with the addition of the towers in effect becoming more grand.
Apparently white quartz was mined within the vicinity of the château and may have been the reason behind its origin and original wealth, it being a valuable commodity in the making of roman roads. It is said that the château was built on the foundations of an ancient Roman Villa but there is nothing to prove this point. A little water mill once existed on the small stream to the south of the château between the ‘lande Voisin’ and ‘du Rouffier’.
The Ferme de la Villevoisin, a dependence to the château, has retained it’s beautiful bread oven and well. The oven is very old and has its original stone roof topped with earth and was likely to have been supplied with flour from the mill mentioned above and responsible for supplying all the baking needs to the château and afterwards to the local residents. Another well exists to the front of the château, although hidden, and was once responsible for supplying water to the neighbours as well as the château.
Slate drains were discovered and still functioning well until 2010, when swimming pool and new water drains were installed.
A small, slate sided, circular pond to the north of the château was formerly the ‘lavoir’ where all the washing was laundered and news exchanged from the surrounding area.
In later years the Château had the only telephone in the area was used by all the local residents when and if an emergency arose. The small bell still situated over the kitchen door was used to summon everyone at meal times.
Much of the woodland remains the same as it did on the plan cadastre (map) in 1848, still maintaining many of the original ‘rides’ which are now pleasant walkways to take an amble through. On the edge of the woodland opposite the road intersection Augan/Caro and the Ville Saloux is a granite cross monolith 160cm x60cmx20 sitting on a stone built plinth of 90x60x85cm; the centre of the cross is hollowed out. Another granite cross, disappeared now since 1929, existed in the field of Rouffle opposite the Château entrance. The cross was commonly erected at crossroads and intersections throughout the Christian villages of Brittany. They vary greatly in age and were erected to perpetuate the memory of a family, someone dear, or a happy event to the afflicted and attract the blessings of God on a village, a person, or a family.